Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Wing Chun

Saw a movie trailer of “Ip Man” (叶问), sifu of bruce lee, and got inspired to learn the kung fu, Wing Chun (咏春). Went to a class, and got started. The master is good, and told me a lot about the theory, and i summarized it as follows :

1.Lineage is not important, we must be able to learn the most from the master.
2.How long you learn is not equal to how much effort you have put in.

I was happy with the progress, as i expected to do the squat for 3 months b4 sifu start to teach me anything, as what happened to bruce lee when he first started learning. Anyway, i also realized that the moves are similar to what i've learned in tai chi and praying mantis fist, seems that most kung fu boils down to the few basics, eg sticky hands (黏手) , maintaining own balance and disrupting opponent's balance.

Of course i dont plan to learn till i can defend myself from thugs, just hope that the reflexes training can help to increase my mental alertness, and be more faster in my everyday actions, eg thinking. And most importantly, refine my patience further....much more further, haha..

we'll see how long this lasts, hehe...

No comments: