Wednesday, November 12, 2008

case 2 part 6

Part 6 – Blood

The next morning, I met up “Big Dog” James to get a blood sample of Brulee for testing. Stopping at the International Hospital, I called up my lab technician friend, Cik Aishah, and asked her to help analyse the blood for levels of meprobamate present.

Finishing my donut and coffee 2 hours later, I met up Cik Aishah to get the blood test results.

“Sticky” she started. “Whose sample is this? Its loaded with more than 25mg percent of meprobamate !”
“Huh? Can you explain it in lay man’s terms?” I requested politely.
“Ok. 0.5 to 2.0 mg percent represents the usual blood-level range of meprobamate after therapeutic doses. The level may occasionally be as high as 3.0 mg percent. “
“Ok. Noted. Please continue” I scribbled it down in my notes.
“A 3 to 10 mg percent usually corresponds to findings of mild-to-moderate symptoms of overdosage, such as stupor or light coma.”she continued.
“Uh-huh.”
“And 10 to 20 mg percent usually corresponds to deeper coma, requiring more intensive treatment Some fatalities may occur at this stage. “
“And?”
“At levels greater than 20 mg percent, more fatalities than survivals can be expected. What happened to this person? Your friend?” She asked.
“Well…he WAS my idol.” I replied.
“Terima kasih.” I thanked her and left.

To be continued…

No comments: