Wednesday, October 8, 2008

detective story - part 1

Inspired by Calvin and Hobbes comic strip, “Nero Wolfe detective series” by Rex Stout.

Note : all stories are merely imaginations of the author, and any resemblance to real person(s) and/or events are purely coincidental.

Part 1 : On a Thursday evening

On a Thursday evening. I was lying back on the armchair, legs crossed on table, arms folded behind my head, staring at the ceiling, and trying to figure things out. The rent is due next week, and my car needs repairing. And the fat lady upstairs wont stop singing. This and all some petty matters is driving me nuts.

“Ding – dong”, goes the doorbell. Muttering a silent curse, i got the door open, wondering which creditor is after me at this hour.

“Monsieur Sticky? I'm baroness Flauntine....” i opened the door to a elegantly dressed lady, draped with a fur of some dead animal, with a feather on her flamboyant hat. Her thick eye lashes seemed like they can talk.
“Ah..yes, at your service, madame” i managed to bring my senses back to normal, and stammered something of intelligence.
“Pray take a seat, and tell me how i can be of help. Brandy of whiskey?” i ushered her in, and seated her at my best sofa.

“Oh, tres bien, i'll have whisky on the rocks, sil vous plait.”she sat herself graciously, minding not to cress her dress, and not forgetting to sweep her fur with an air. Ah, these damsels in distress...

I poured her her drink, and waited for her to began.
“My most precious, the fabled ruby, known as The Tear of Nile, has gone missing during my party last night....” she began.
“Madame, this is not....” I began to protest weakly, wringing my hand in despair, as searching for lost trinkets is not my cup of tea.
“I'll offer you 5,000 pounds, exclusive of all your expenses”she interrupted forcefully.
“...a problem. Pray tell me the details.”Reality got the better of me. There's the rent to pay, right?


To be continued..if you are still interested :-)

note : tres bien = very good
sil vous plait = if you please/ if it pleases you
dang, now i;m flaunting my tiny weeny bit of french, haha.. :P

No comments: