Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Grandma’s cooking

Cooking reminds me of my grandma’s cooking…when I was a kid, whenever my grandma cooks, I will run up to her and shout “grandma! Grandma! What are you cooking?” and she will kindly say”be patient, my dear, I’m cooking something nice and delicious for you…” and whatever she cooks will be just plain delicious.

As I grow up, I will help her to chop onions, smash up ginger or garlic, peel prawns, peel onions(sniff), and be her assistant.

I tried experimenting a few times on my own, but I couldn’t get the same taste grandma did, the “childhood” taste. Once I asked her the secret of her cooking, and she chuckled and answered “my dear, I am your grandma, and you eat whatever I cook and nothing else, that’s why you will always remember my cooking. But you should always try to use fresh and natural ingredients, so that your food will always smell nice and taste good…:

Times had changed, as sifu taught me to eat for the sustenance of this body, and not for enjoyment, and I’m reminding myself before each meal. But there’ll always be the time where I will be reminded of grandma and her cooking, and the long gone days where I’m always her favourite baby….

No comments: